Saturday, June 20, 2009

Book Review: "Two Views on Women in Ministry."


This was the first “counterpoint series” book that I’ve ever read, and I must say that I was very impressed. I’m the sort of person that likes to read all sides of the issue and come to my own conclusion. And rather than pick up 5 different books on the subject, I thought that I would pick up one like this and see if there was enough information to make a reasonable decision. I must say that my expectations were met.

The issue is, what roles do women play in church ministry and what are the limitations? Though only two primary views are given, four authors contributed. I was impressed by this because each author offered unique perspectives. In particular, I was very impressed by Linda Bellville’s egalitarian perspective because of the technical insight that was given. And judging from the other views that were given, Linda Bellville is probably the best that the egalitarian has to offer.

Though the complementary contributors didn’t offer the technical insight that Bellville gave, their arguments were solid and well established. At any rate, this is a book that is worth reading and worthy of in depth study. And I couldn’t imagine a better resource than this book. From now on, when I am researching a controversial topic, the counterpoint series books will be the first on my list.

No comments: