Thursday, October 26, 2006

Six days and Gay marriage

So what does the six days of Creation and gay marriage have in common? Absolutely nothing! But first things first; my interesting day. If anyone wants to see me get my butt kicked in a debate, then look no further than today. In one of my sociology classes we had to debate on gay marriage. Luckily, I was chosen to oppose gay marriage rather than defend it. But what was so difficult about this debate was that I had to defend my position from a sociological perspective. And if you know anything about sociology, you know this; the duty of a sociologist is not to determine right and wrong. Basically, this meant that I could use no subjective evidences to build my case. Or in other words, I couldn't appeal to my personal beliefs! So, needless to say, I was destroyed. But I did learn quite a bit! For one, I learned that I absolutely suck at politics. And two, I learned that I suck at politics! And three, I learned that it is very difficult to defend Marriage sociologically! So yes, I admit defeat. If you want to know the details, just ask the vast majority of class that voted my team as the losers :-P

Ok, now let's switch gears shall we?

"Six days?"
"Yep!"
"Six truly really days?"
"Yep!"
"You're sure it says six days?"
"Yep!"
"I wonder why He took so long?"


Have you ever wondered that? If God is really so powerful, couldn't He have created everything in 6 seconds? One second? One thousandth of a second? Or even in no time at all? Why did God take so long to create? Well, that is what an atheist asked recently in response to my article, "Evolution and the Bible." And I appreciated the question so much that I thought i'd answer it here! So why six days? Let's see what the Bible says...

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work...For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." (Exodus 20:8-11)

The answer is simple! God created in six days as a model for us to live our lives; Six days of work and a day of rest! But think about this for a second. If those days aren't literal days but rather millions or billions of years, what would that mean to us?

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work...For in 4.4 Billion years the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested for 200 million years . Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." (Exodus 20:8-11)

Does that make any sense? God created in billions of years and rested for millions so that we might work for six days and rest on the seventh? Next time you go to work, ask your boss if you can take off work on the Sabbath. If he says yes, don't go to work for the next 10 years. Chances are you'll get a call asking, "Where are you? You were only supposed to take off on the Sabbath!" Then you would say, "Yes, that's true. But God rested on the Sabbath for millions of years, so why can't I rest for 10 years?" See the problem? We must let the text of Scripture interpret itself rather than inserting our own ideas into the text. And if we choose to go down that slippery slope of redifining words according to what we think they should mean in Genesis, then what is going to stop us from doing that in other parts of the Bible as well?

No comments: