Saturday, October 28, 2006

Redemption: Particular or Universal?

I'm not going to offer my comments on this (atleast not now), but I just wanted to share this quote I just read from The Potter's Freedom p. 248 by James White:

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. (Galatians 2:20)

Consider for a moment how precious it is that the Christian can say, 'I have been crucified with Christ.' This is personal atonement, personal substitution. We revel in the awesome love of our Savior who loved us as individuals and gave Himself up for us. For me! Me, the hate-filled sinner who spurned Him and His love! How much less glorious is the idea, 'Christ loved a generic group and died so as to give them the opportunity to possibly join the group and hence receive certain benefits.'

But let us ask this question: can the justly condemned sinner who stands upon the parapets of hell in eternity to come, screaming in hatred toward the halls of heaven, say, 'I was crucified with Christ! He loved me and gave Himself up for me!' Surely not! Can such a person say, 'My sins have been punished twice! First they were perfectly atoned for on the cross of Christ, and now I am undergoing punishment for them again here in hell!' The very idea causes us to recoil in horror. You see, particular redemption means personal redemption. Christ died in my place, not generically, but individually. What a glorious Savior!"

Just something to think about; do you believe that Christ died on the cross for the sins of every single human being who ever lived? Or do you believe that Christ died for only the elect?

No comments: