Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Jesus Family Tomb?

Unless you haven't left your room, turned on your tv, signed on the internet, or have been camping for the past week, you've probably heard the news that some have claimed to have found the tombs of Jesus and his family. And not only that, but they've supposedly identified, using DNA experimentation, Jesus' body.

Its not my attention to attempt to refute this idea just yet, even though a large portion of the evidences rely on a so-called 15th century forgery called The Acts of Phillip. And I must admit that it is very tempting to do a full launch refutation of this "theory," because although the film hasn't yet been aired (airs this Sunday), and because I haven't read the book (just released Tuesday, which should be arriving to my home any day now), it would simply be unfair and even risky to do.

And fortunately, many have already attempted some very fine rebuttals of this theory. This is probably the best thing we have available that refutes many of the pre-film claims. If you aren't a big reader, go to that link and listen to the program. But if you are a reader, go here.

I am currently very close to finishing my studies in textual criticism and KJonlyism (not finished, but you know what I mean), and I was intending to write an in-depth blog on the subject in addition to one on the deity of Christ (believe it or not, but the KJV and the deity of Christ are very closely related). But unfortunately, this issue is just too big to ignore.

If you are a believer in Christ, this issue could very well mean the end of Christianity. If Jesus' bones were to be found, its over; we have nothing left. And sadly, the outcome of this theory might destroy the faith of many. And you might argue, as many did with the Da Vinci Code, "If their faith is shaken because of this, maybe they don't have genuine faith?" I understand this concern. But aren't we to care for the flock, both the weak and the strong? I believe we should. And I believe that Christians have more reason now than ever before to be concerned with this stuff.

So I don't know about you, but I'm going to watch the show on Sunday. And i'm going to read the book as soon as it arrives. I'm going to do my homework. And i'm going to write a full rebuttal of this "theory" as soon as time allows. What are you going to do?

No comments: