Friday, September 11, 2009

Eschatological Developments



I haven't really done much blogging on eschatology for a few reasons. First, I haven't studied it enough to have a firm opinion. And second, it just hasn't been at the forefront of my mind.

My background has always been a premillennial, dispensational eschatology. The reason being, its all i've been exposed to. When I went to college where I was in the process of figuring out what I believed, I picked up a few books by Tim Lahaye and Henry Morris to see if this form of eschatology had any credibility. When I concluded the credibility of this position, and that the majority of Christian leaders and seminaries held to these views, I never saw any reason to question any of it. Never did I hear any opposition from the "other side," whoever they were. As far as I knew, preterists were a bunch of theological liberals, or at worse, heretics.

Being on the road full time with my band has brought me a very significant amount of free time; time to read things that I would probably never otherwise read. And ever since I was exposed to "reformed theology," i've been hearing more and more arguments from the preterist position. So, I decided to pick up one of their books: Last Days Madness by Gary DeMarr.

All I can say is that i'm half way through this book and it is making me rethink anything and everything I ever believed about eschatology. If you are a premillennialist and don't mind a good theological challenge, check out this book. If you've never read what the other side has to say on this, you'll be very surprised. Things will jump out of the Bible that you never knew was there. Just try it. You'll see.

I'll post more details on this when I finish the book.

No comments: